Soon after the conquest of Daman in 1559 AD, construction of this massive fort started and lasted till the end of 16th century AD. It encompasses about 30,000 sq. m. with ten bastions and two gateways - southern (land) gate and the northern (sea) gate. The fort is protected by a moat on the land side and also connects the river to the sea. The main street inside the fort runs north - south and all along the inner wall there are barracks of defence personnel.
On the northern side within the confine of the fort were located the palaces, the secretariat and other official buildings. A large number of Portuguese gentry and their families resided within the fort. The recently built circular road is like a necklace round the Fort. It is now a popular promenade.